MHG53418 - Memorial to Sergeant John Meikle, Station Road, Dingwall
A memorial to Sergeant John Meidle VC MM, killed in action 20th July 1918.
Type and Period (2)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Erected, First World War - 1918 AD to 1918 AD (post))
- WAR MEMORIAL (Erected, First World War - 1918 AD to 1918 AD (post))
- None recorded
A memorial stone erected in memory of Sergeant John Meikle VC MM. The inscription reads: "In memory of Sergt John Meikle V.C M.M late clerk at Nitshill Station who enlisted in H.M. Forces (Seaforth Highlanders) 8th February 1915 during the Great War and was killed in action on 20th July 1918. Erected by his railway comrades".
The memorial formerly stood at Nitshill railway station but was moved to Dingwall because of vandalism. This information together with photographs was submitted to the HER by Martin Briscoe in February 2010. <1><2>
See HES Canmore record for more photos of the memorial.
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <3>
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 332936.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Martin Briscoe, 05/02/2010.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 55280 58614 (8m by 15m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/332936/dingwall-station-road-memorial (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.