MHG53485 - Building, NNW of Rogie Farm
The remains of a small but substantial building set in a commanding position on the summit of a prominent knoll.
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Medieval to 18th Century - 1058 AD? to 1800 AD?)
- LAIRDS HOUSE? (Medieval to 18th Century - 1058 AD? to 1800 AD?)
- None recorded
The remains of a small but substantial building occupy an exposed but commanding position on the summit ridge of a prominent knoll. The area of the knoll and the structure itself have been grossly disturbed by forest operations with felling, mounding and replanting having recently taken place. The underfoot conditions are extremely rough and hazardous.
The building measures 20m x 14m overall. The main axis is NE-SW and there are 2 compartments to this part of the building, but there is also a third compartment on the east side, see drawing. All the walls of the building have been solidly constructed of earth, rubble and large boulders. Their remains are generally 0.5m to 0.8m high and between 1.5m and 2m thick and even 3m in some places.
The west compartment measures 5m x 3.5m internally and there is an entrance 1.3m wide in the SE wall. The NE compartment measures 7.5m x 3m internally, again there is an entrance in the centre of the SE wall. There may also be an entrance into the east compartment at the west end of this SE wall, but an opening at the NE corner has probably been made by forest vehicles gaining entry. The SE compartment is aligned at right angles to the other two and is 4.5m x 3.8m internally.
It has an entrance in the NE wall. The building sits on a revetted platform 25m x 15m, the SW sideof which has been built up considerably with large boulders. <1>
The building does not appear on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map and presumably pre-dates the visible township remains. The substantial walls would suggest that at least parts of the structure were originally two storeys. The dimensions of the building are comparable with other sites that have been interpreted as laird's houses and its prominent location would also support such an interpretation. <2>
See link below to HES Canmore record for photo and plan of the building.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. The Report of a Project to Identify, Survey and Record Archaeological Remains at Rogie, Ross-shire: February 2008 - May 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p8, Feature 45, plan.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 43843 59767 (39m by 36m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/317427/rogie (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.