MHG53504 - Ford, south of Rogie Farmhouse
A well-preserved ford over the burn south of Rogie Farmhouse.
Type and Period (3)
- FORD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- FOOTBRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- BRIDGE (18th Century - 1701 AD? to 1800 AD)
- None recorded
In 2009 Forestry Commission Scotland commissioned C Shepherd to undertake a survey and assessment of those parts of the 18th century Military Road network crossing the National Forest Estate in Inverness, Ross & Skye, Lochaber and North Highland Forest Districts.
During the survey of Contin, an older bridge than that presently in use was recorded to stand at the end of an earlier alignment (see MHG54626). Some stones in the springings may be early. <1>
A rectangular area of cobbling is seen in the bed of the burn under the southmost concrete bridge to the south of the farmhouse. It is well preserved, measures c10m (NE-SW) x 6m and is made up of rounded stones generally 20-30cms in diameter. It is bounded on its SW/downstream side by a degraded timber kerb and on the SE side it disappears under the retaining bank of large rounded boulders which supports the abutments of the present bridge. <2>
A footbridge is marked in this location on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Shepherd, C.. 12/2009. The 18th Century Military Road Network on the Forestry Commission National Forest Estate in the Highlands: Inverness, Ross & Skye, Lochaber and North Highland Districts. Forestry Commission Scotland. . Paper and Digital. NH018.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2010. The Report of a Project to Identify, Survey and Record Archaeological Remains at Rogie, Ross-shire: February 2008 - May 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. Feature 75.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 44271 59262 (12m by 11m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/317489/rogie (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.