MHG53506 - Sheepfold, north west of Rogie Farmhouse
A large intact rectangular sheepfold.
Type and Period (1)
- SHEEP FOLD (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1881 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
Largely intact rectangular enclosure measuring 29m(WNW - ESE) x 23m. Walls of dry stone construction are up to 1.5m height. There are 2 entrances in N wall and 2 short tumbled sections in E and S wall. <1>
The sheepfold is shown to extend further north on the 1st edition 6'' Ordnance Survey map. <2>
This was observed during a site walkover to be built onto a field boundary wall (MHG54339). <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2010. The Report of a Project to Identify, Survey and Record Archaeological Remains at Rogie, Ross-shire: February 2008 - May 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. Feature 02.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Peteranna, M.. 09/2010. Garve to Strathpeffer Water Main Line Renewal: Archaeological Walkover Survey. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 16.
- <4> Collection/Project Archive: Peteranna, M. 09/2010. Garve to Strathpeffer Water Main Line Renewal: Archaeological Walkover Survey. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 16.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 44053 59457 (34m by 38m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/317489/rogie (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.