MHG53519 - Mill pond and remains of lade, Killiechoilum
A mill pond, sluice and lade depicted on the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps.
Type and Period (5)
- MILL POND (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- MILL DAM (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- SLUICE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- LADE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- AQUEDUCT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A walkover survey in September 2009 identified a sluice at NH 47997 13003 consisting of large stones over a burn with wet areas to the front and rear. The pond to the south has man-made bans and uses natural ground. Sluice is 1.4m by 3.2m with lade to the south 6 metres in length. The pond is visible on an aerial photograph from 1949 with a possible stretch of lade to the north. The rest of the lade looked to be infilled, only visible as a faint line. <1>
The 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map depict the northern part of the lade, leading up to Killiechoilum farmstead, as a raised aqueduct. <2><3>
A walkover survey by Headland Archaeology in 2012/13 in advance of a proposed windfarm development records the mill pond and lade depicted on the 1st edition OS map and appear to be chanelling a stream from the hillside towards Killiechoilum farmstead, presumably providing the water source for the house or as a lade for a mill located in the house. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Farrell, S. 03/2010. Report of Archaeological Desktop & Walkover Survey, Ardochy, Whitebridge, Highland. Unaffiliated. Digital. Site 8. XY
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1900-5. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <4> Text/Report/Environmental Statement: Headland Archaeology. 2012. Dell Wind Farm: Environmental Statement: Cultural Heritage chapter. Headland Archaeology. Digital. Appendix 9.2.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4799 1308 (28m by 219m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.