MHG53615 - Boat Naust, W of Alisary, Loch Ailort, Moidart
A boat nuast was surveyed and recorded in detail in a small sheltered bay on the south-western shore of Loch Ailort at Alisary.
Type and Period (1)
- NAUST (In use, 19th Century - 1825 AD to 1875 AD (circa))
- None recorded
A boat naust was recorded in a small sheltered bay on the south-western shore of Loch Ailort during a survey project conducted by Moidart History Group as part of Scotland's Rural Past. The naust is 2.5m wide, and up to 0.65m deep. It lies aligned north to south, with the bow end to the south, in a shallow, grass-covered gully, flanked on both side by three-metre high ridges of bedrock.
The naust probably dates to the mid 19th-century, although the design and usage was probably influenced by long-inherited practice. There was no vehicular road alongside the shore of Loch Ailort until 1967 – before this, travel and trade up and down to the loch side settlements was by sea. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NM 73987 79626 (50m by 50m) (Surveyed)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.