MHG53674 - Cottage and enclosure, West Aultguish
A cottage and enclosure is shown at this location on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey mapping. It is now inundated.
Type and Period (2)
- COTTAGE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (at some time))
- ENCLOSURE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
This site was noted in an Environmental Statement, prepared by Cathy Dagg, for a proposed wind farm at Lochluichart.
WestAultguish, cottage and enclosure at NH 3378 7085. As recorded on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, two roofed buildings and an attached sub-rectangular enclosure to the south. The buildings are now inundated, approximately 100m east of the end of the pier, while part of the enclosure walls would lie between the road and shore. But are no longer visible and were possibly used as material in the construction of the pier. A 1950s photograph indicates that the walling was of rough rubble construction and the enclosure was probably a temporary holding pen for sheep. There is no historical evidence for earlier settlement at this location. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3377 7084 (28m by 26m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.