MHG53675 - Site of Temporary Construction Camp, West Aultguish
A camp used during the construction of the hydro-electric scheme, in the 1950s, is shown on Old Photographs. There is no trace of the camp at this location.
Type and Period (1)
- CONSTRUCTION CAMP (In use, 20th Century - 1950 AD to 1960 AD)
- None recorded
This site was noted in an Environmental Statement, prepared by Cathy Dagg, for a proposed wind farm at Lochluichart.
A temporary camp for construction workers at NH 3370 7080. During the 1950s construction of the hydro-electric scheme, the camp was probably located here to house workers on the intake and tunnel connection to Mossford power station, although the tunnel itself was constructed from the south upwards. A contemporary photograph, shows a number of wooden huts, probably on concrete bases, within the rubble walling of the West Aultguish sheep enclosure. Part of this site is located between the road and the loch shore, but there is now no trace of the camp. <1>
|Grid reference||NH 3370 7080 (point)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.