MHG53677 - Former road between Ullapool and Contin


Known as the fish merchant's road, it was 16 feet wide and covered with gravel. Faint traces of it survive on the ground.

Type and Period (2)

  • ROAD (Built, 18th Century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
  • DROVE ROAD (18th Century - 1792 AD to 1792 AD (pre))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

This site was noted in an Environmental Statement, prepared by Cathy Dagg, for a proposed wind farm at Lochluichart.

The earliest road to be constructed between Ullapool and Contin, probably following the route of an earlier drove road. Built in 1792-3 to facilitate the export overland of fish from Ullapool and therefore known as the fish merchants' road, the road was 16 feet wide and the top covered with gravel, the base presumably of local stone. The bridge over the Alit Giubhais Beag is one of eight constructed along the entire route. Only 12 years after its completion the road had fallen into disrepair. This road followed a route from West Aultguish, south of Kirkan and over the hill to Gorstan, while the later road (the route still in use today) follows the Blackwater past Lubfearn and Inchbea. The first 500m of this road from West Aultguish is overlaid by the access track to the intake, but from NH 3450 7033 it can be followed
faintly to the bridge at NH 3508 7000. There is no trace of a gravel surface or stone base. The bridge survives only as the collapsed remains of a rubble pier on the east bank of the stream (see MHG29869). <1>

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NH 3460 7030 (974m by 581m)
Map sheet NH37SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.