MHG53808 - Ammunition stores, Army camp, Lochailort
Ammunition stores, part of the army camp at Lochailort.
Type and Period (1)
- AMMUNITION STORE? (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
Part of the army camp at Lochailort. Martin Briscoe sent photographs of these buildings. They are not marked on the plan held in Lochaber Archive. It is suggested that they possibly represent ammunition storage. <1>
Further pictures of the ammunition stores were forwarded to the HER by Harry Clyne in November 2010. One report claims that these were used as prison cells, although this has to be considered unlikely. <2>
Iain Thornber carried out a photographic survey of the standing buildings on behalf of Marine Harvest (Scotland) Ltd. This was submitted as part of a planning application for re-development of the Lochailort fish farm. A selection of photographs is included in the report. The full collection is held on CD. <3>-<5>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Clyne, H. 11/2010. Photographs of Inverailort Camp and surrounding area. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Thornber, I. 11/2010. The Former Military Camp at Lochailort: A Photographic Record. Unaffiliated. Digital.
- <4> Text/Report: Marine Harvest (Scotland) Ltd. 2010. Lochailort Fish Farm 2010 Proposal: Environmental Statement. Marine Harvest (Scotland) Ltd. . Digital.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Thornber, I. 11/2010. The Former Military Camp at Lochailort: A Photographic Record. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 7694 8171 (9m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.