MHG53903 - Site of Tileworks, Allangrange
A small scale tileworks at Allangrange, probably operation in the 1850s. It is not shown on any Ordnance Survey mapping, but 4 workers associated with the tile/brick industry are recorded in the 1851 census. Small amounts of rubble have been found on the site.
Type and Period (1)
- TILE WORKS (In use, 19th Century - 1850 AD to 1860 AD (circa))
- None recorded
Report from Anthony Morey, compiled as part of a WEA project. The project's aim was to confirm a verbal account around 1980 by a local resident, now deceased, that a tileworks had existed in a small wooded area close to Taeweg on the Allangrange Estate.
A quantity of broken or deformed clay tiles (drainage pipes) lay on the surface.
Documentary research indicated the presence of four residents on the estate or at Bogallan (the small crofting township which faced Allangrange on the south side of the valley of the Littlemill Burn) employed in brick/tilemaking, in the 1851 census. No mention is made of any individuals involved in the idnsutry in the 1861 census, so it is considered the tileworks had a short life, in the mid 19th-century.
Pictures of small amounts of broken debris, and stone line pits, evident on the site, were included in the report. The report suggest that on the OS map (1871) at 1:2500 scale there is evidence of a small rectangular structure, possibly containing water. <1>
The reference to the 1st edition OS map could not be confirmed. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6367 5123 (252m by 253m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.