MHG54 - Township - Lagan, Morvern
Site of medieval township.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
NGR centred at 159500 748000
One unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire, Island of Mull 1880, sheet liii), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1976).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 22 June 1998
(NM 595 481) Outlines of 6 to 8 houses, occupied by 1755, 1 house occupied mid-19th century, probably abandoned by 1871. <1>
The remains of this township was noted in a DBA and walkover survey by WCAS in 2011 in advance of a woodland creation scheme. Several features were found, including buildings, dykes, and enclosures. A shieling and a pen were also noted. For individual feature descriptions, please see report. <2>
- <1> SHG2242 Text/Publication/Volume: Gaskell, P. 1968. Morvern transformed: a highland parish in the nineteenth century. 152.
- <2> SHG25910 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S and Peteranna, M. 2011. Woodland Creation Project: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment and Walkover Survey - Killundine Estate, Morvern. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. Sites 11-16, 30-38.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 5996 4808 (1488m by 1018m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/81920 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.