MHG54043 - Nesscastle Mill and Lade
Nesscastle Corn Mill, with its lade to the S is marked on the 1st edition OS Map. The lade is still water-filled on modern mapping, and the site of the mill is occupied by The Weir Fishing Lodge.
Type and Period (2)
- LADE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- CORN MILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Nesscastle Mill is shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey mapping. It is marked as a Corn Mill, consisting of an L-shaped building with two rectangular buildings. The mill lade is marked, running for over 500m. Little change is evident by 1900, the time of the 2nd edition OS map. <1><2>
By 1964, the mill lade is shown as disused, and the Weir Fishing Lodge has been built to the n of the mill complex. The Northern arm of the lade is no longer marked. The disused lade is shown as water-filled on modern OS mapping. <3><4>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1900-5. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964. Ordnance Survey 5th edition map: Inverness. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6397 4105 (367m by 362m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.