MHG54066 - Milton Lodge Stables (Wester Swardale)
A farmstead has existed at this location since at least the 1st edition Ordnance Survey. Windpump and kennels added by time of 2nd edition.
Type and Period (3)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- KENNELS (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- WIND PUMP (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Marked on 1st edition OS as 2 L-shaped roofed buildings and named Wester Swordale; 2nd edition OS (1;2500) of 1906 (sheet 64.16) with kennels and windpump and named Milton. Marked on latest OS as stables of only one L-shaped building. Recorded in the Ordnance Survey Name Book as ‘Applies to a farm house with steading attached situate about 1 mile east of Swordale House. It is the property of W Matheson Newton.’ <1>-<3>
Walkover reveals farm converted into house, and heavily modernised.<4>
- <1> SHG23422 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <2> SHG23423 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> SHG3339 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book no.1, 40.
- <4> SHG24997 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Farrell, S. 08/2010. Report of Archaeological Desktop & Walkover Survey, Fannyfield Farm, Evanton, Highland. Unaffiliated. Digital. Site 6.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5610 6561 (86m by 71m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.