MHG54076 - Possible drove road, Avoch

Summary

A double embanked route way is still partially visible. It may be part of a network of drove routes across the Black Isle.

Type and Period (1)

  • DROVE ROAD? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Information from a participant in the Black Isle Heritage Memories Project. Double embanked route way still partially visible; but much overgrown. It is known as the ‘Coo’s Gate’ locally, this may have been part of a network of drove routes across the Black Isle. It is observed extending from the ruinous wall footings of an old orchard to the harbor end of the village. <1>

Potentially visible on modern aerial photography. <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7037 5536 (335m by 280m)
Map sheet NH75NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish AVOCH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.