MHG54079 - Former Site of Free Church, Avoch
The Free Church at Avoch is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map at this location. The Church moved in c.1870.
Type and Period (1)
- FREE CHURCH (19th Century - 1846 AD to 1873 AD)
- None recorded
Free Church shown on 1st edition map, set within a small area of woodland. The Free Church is not shown at this location by the time of the 2nd edition OS map. <1><2>
Information from a participant in the Black Isle Heritage Memories project; the church relocated in c.1870. <3>
The Listed Building record for the subsequent Free Church states that the 'previous Free Church' (referring to this site) was built in 1846, with the successor building opened in August 1873. <4>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Text/Report: McCullagh, C. 09/2010. Black Isle Heritage Memories: Remembering your Community Avoch, Culbokie and Tore. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. A33.
- <4> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 403.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6816 5407 (68m by 74m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.