MHG54123 - Structures, Blar a Chaorainn

Summary

The remains of two structures, recorded as roofed on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, were recorded during field survey.

Type and Period (1)

  • BUILDING (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (at some time))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Two roofed structures are shown on the 1st edition ordnance Survey map. Two enclosures have been added by the time of the 2nd edition. The E structure is noted as roofed on wartime aerial photography. During field survey in June 2008, it was noted that there is little remaining of the western most structure except the lowest stone courses and a scattering of stones across the area. The eastern building is also extensively destroyed though there is a section that stands to a height of 1.2m, constructed from rough mortared stones. <1>

Correspondence from Martin Briscoe in 2011 suggested that the western structure had been used as a toll house for the road. It was also suggested that the eastern building had been roofed until shortly before, and that stones had been reused from the structure for the West Highland Way. <2>

Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe via the Highland HER Flickr group. <3>

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NN 0999 6672 (29m by 31m)
Map sheet NN06NE
Civil Parish KILMALLIE
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.