MHG54149 - Farmstead - Achvidigo
A farmstead shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A farmstead comprising a partially roofed building with an unroofed long building attached to one end of it, and an enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1876, sheet xxii). An unroofed building and an enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1959).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 27 November 1995
A farmstead at Achvidigo recorded on OS 1st and 2nd Edition maps. <1> <2> <3>
The small farmstead of Achvidigo comprises a single large longhouse, with small attached enclosure. This building is described in the Name Book (Book 15,49) as small cottage, which - with the adjacent ruin - was 'the only remains of a farm steading which once stood there'. On the OS First edition it is the most southerly part of the building which is shown as roofed, while the enclosure is depicted as being under cultivation. By the time the Second edition was compiled, the entire complex appears to have gone out of use. <4>
GIS spatial data amended in 2019 according to location of site as seen on 1999-2001 vertical APs. <5>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1876-77. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-73). Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. 15, 49.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Hooper, J.. 02/2001. Achkeepster, Caithness, Location of Proposed Windfarm: An Archaeological Assessment. Janet Hooper. 27/03/2001. Paper and Digital. Site 011.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1510 4929 (70m by 60m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/97885 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.