MHG54156 - Sheep shelter, Achkeepster
Sheep shelter depicted on 1st edition Ordnance Survey mapping.
Type and Period (1)
- SHEEP FOLD (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The scanty remains of this sheep shelter, which is marked on the OS First edition map, consists of two opposed arcs of walling, joined in the middle. Little stone is apparent in its structure and it appears simply to be a very regularly shaped patch of sedge within a relatively marshy area. Each limb of the sheep shelter measures 6m long, with the central section measuring 3m in length. <1><2>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1876-77. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-73). Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Hooper, J.. 02/2001. Achkeepster, Caithness, Location of Proposed Windfarm: An Archaeological Assessment. Janet Hooper. 27/03/2001. Paper and Digital. Site 033.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1613 5153 (33m by 33m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.