MHG54160 - Former estate cottage and drill Hall - Mey
The Drill Hall for a Volunteer Artillery Company at Mey, dated 1875.
Type and Period (2)
- DRILL HALL (19th Century to Unknown - 1875 AD)
- ESTATE COTTAGE (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1870 AD)
- None recorded
In 1866 under the influence of the Earl of Caithness, an Artillery Company was formed at Mey and shortly afterwards a second company was raised in Castletown. The Drill Hall at Mey, almost opposite the gateway to the Castle, has the appearance of an estate cottage which has been extended to accommodate the volunteers. The extension carries the date 1875 and there is a neatly carved field gun over the main porch. Inserted into the wall is a shield "Erected by No 5 Company 1st CVA and Friends in memory of Corpl Alexander T Sinclair, 2nd Brabant’s Horse, Killed in Action at Dordrecht (Bird’s River) S Africa, 16th February 1900. Aged 27 years". Corporal Sinclair was presumably a former member of the Mey company. <1>
A single cottage is marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map; the Drill Hall extension has been added by the time of the 2nd edition OS map. <2><3>
- <1> SHG25033 Text/Publication/Article: Watson, G. 1996. The Artillery Batteries at Mey and Castletown (Caithness Field Club Bulletin Vol. 5 Number 8). Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. Volume 5, Number 8.
- <2> SHG23389 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <3> SHG23362 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2908 7283 (28m by 35m) (Mastermap)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.