MHG54175 - Munlochy Hall, Munlochy
Munlochy Hall was built in the late 19th-century as a community hall. It was used in the inter-war years as a Drill Hall for the territorial army. It is again in use as a community hall.
Type and Period (2)
- VILLAGE HALL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD to 2100 AD)
- DRILL HALL (19th Century to 20th Century - 1900 AD to 1950 AD)
- None recorded
Munlochy Hall is of traditional solid stone and slate construction. It is built on a slope and the basement can be accessed at ground level behind the building. There are extensions to the building: behind (housing the Little Hall and the Ladies toilets), another toilet extension in the north‐east corner, and a kitchen at the SW end.
It is believed, though not confirmed, that Munlochy Hall was built around 1892 as a village hall for the local community, using money from the Common Good Fund. It was bought by the Territorial Army in the inter‐war years and used as a Drill Hall. In 1970, the Munlochy Community fund‐raised and purchased the Hall for local use a.
In 2001, the Hall underwent a major refurbishment. <1>
Marked as a Drill Hall on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting that it was in use as such pre-war as well. <2>
The drill hall is a single-storyed hall in coursed rubble with a gabled porch, which appears on the 2nd edition OS 1:2500 map. The hall has three windows to the east of the door, and a smaller window to the west. An attic floor is reached by an external stair up to a door in the gable, which is flanked by a small window. There is a flat-roofed extension behind.
In 1914 the hall was drill station for "H" Squadron, 2nd Lovat's Scouts and base for "C" Company, 4th battalion, Seaforth Highlanders. It is now in use as village hall. Recorded as part of HS and RCAHMS World War One Audit Project in 2013. <3> <4> <5>
- <1> SHG25040 Image/Photograph(s): Johnston, T S. 12/2010. Photographs of Munlochy Hall. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <2> SHG23423 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331792.
- <4> SHG27124 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 64, table 43.
- <5> SHG28062 Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. Site 396.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6487 5332 (31m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331792/munlochy-millbank-road-drill-hall (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.