MHG54223 - Enclosure - Milton of Leys
An enclosure, recorded during walkover survey, is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map.
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUILDING (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
This site, discovered during the walkover survey by GUARD in 1999 as part of a proposed housing development, is positioned at the north-east corner of the development area at the edge of arable land. It is a square, banked enclosure with sides 27 m in length. The banks are approximately 2 m wide and stand to a height of between 0.3 and 0.7 m above the external land surface. The area within the enclosure is undulating and generally lower than the outside. A low mound 3 m (east/west) by 10 m (north/ south) lies in the centre of the enclosure. The site is covered by grass except where there is a concentration of large stones along the inside edge of the southern wall. <1>
This site appears on the first edition Ordnance Survey map, associated with one L-shaped building and a rectangular one. <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Duncan, J S. 1999. Milton of Leys: An archaeological evaluation on behalf of Tulloch Homes. Glasgow University (GUARD). 16/04/1999. Digital (scanned as PDF). Site IV.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 69536 42629 (35m by 37m) (Centred)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.