MHG54323 - Former Post Office, 88 High Street, Fort William

Summary

The site of the former Post Office which also housed a war memorial (now on display in the West Highland Museum).

Type and Period (1)

  • POST OFFICE (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1880 AD? to 1979 AD (between))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The Post Office at 88 High Street was moved to 5 High Street in 1979. The Old Post Office housed a war memorial, erected in 1919, bearing the names of 15 Fort William and District General Post Office staff who died during the Great War, and of a further three GPO local personnel killed during the Second World War. When the new Post Office opened the memorial plaque was installed in there but in 2008 it was removed to the possession of the Royal Mail and was no longer on public display. Further information including a list of names is available in <2>.
The memorial is now on display in the West Highland Museum in Fort William. It was rededicated at a ceremony at 11am on Monday 15th November 2010. <1><2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NN 1010 7380 (22m by 22m)
Map sheet NN17SW
Civil Parish KILMALLIE
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.