MHG54324 - Township, Achavanie
A township depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map and surviving as low footings.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Information about this site was submitted to the HER in February 2011 by Paul Swan, as follows: "Houses 4, 5 & 6 should now lie in a small deciduous wood, but upon investigation no trace could be found. Houses 1, 2 & 3 are all of the same size & layout, one large long room with a byre on the end.
First known as Achbane in 1548, later as Auchvanie in 1633, Achavanie suffered the same fate as many small settlements when it was “cleared” to make way for sheep." Photographs were also included in the attached manuscript. <1>
This placename is listed in <2> as Ach-a-bhanaidh, probably based on ban, white, yielding banach, white place, or untilled field. It was also known as Davach of Achwanye in 1583. <2>
See also information from RCAHMS under MHG7693 and record MHG32962 which may be referring to this township. <3>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8344 4063 (145m by 74m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.