MHG54348 - Gair enclosure, Nigg churchyard
A burial enclosure within the churchyard at Nigg containing a re-used medieval gravestone.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL ENCLOSURE (17th Century - 1601 AD to 1700 AD)
- None recorded
The Gair enclosure lies in the northern corner of the churchyard. Professor George Henderson has provided information and photographs about the tombstone of Alexander Gair, 1659, as follows:
" The stone is incised with what remains of a much older memorial, a sword hilt, the lower part of the sword being cut away by Gair's armorial shield. The very top of this monument has the remains of a round cross head, also part of the older monument. This monument, re-used evidently by Alexander Gair, is of the well known 14th-15th century type." <1>
The above tombstone is briefly discussed and illustrated in Macdonald (1902). The article can be accessed via the link at the bottom of this record. <2>
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Henderson, G. 2011. Letter and photographs from Prof. George Henderson regarding monuments in Nigg churchyard. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Macdonald, W R. 1902. 'The heraldry in some of the old churchyards between Tain and Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol 36 1901-2, pp 688-732. pp 692-4, Fig 3.
|Grid reference||NH 8045 7170 (point)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/ARCHway/volumeSelector.cfm?rcn=1340 (Find PSAS article on Archaeology Data Service website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.