MHG54442 - Former Bridge - Comrie


Bridge abutments

Type and Period (1)


Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The site of a former bridge over the River Conon was recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project. Known locally as the Black Bridge and is said to have been washed away in a “big flood”. The Inverness Courier reported the bridge being opened in 1890 and the bridge and track leading to it are depicted on the OS 1” edition of 1928-30. An earth bank is all that remains of the N abutment for the bridge and is situated some 15m N of the river bank at NH 41930 55696, now obscured by gorse. It is roughly 1m in height and corresponds to S terminus of a track which can be traced in the field beyond. The track is 2.5m wide bounded on its W side by a low earth and stone bank. The S abutment of the bridge located at NH 41925 55613 is better preserved. Built of dressed and mortared stone it stands 2.5m high x 3m wide in the upper courses. It presents a straight face to the river but tapers to ground level on each side of the embankment. The embankment leading to the abutment from the edge of the road is more or less complete being some 25m in length and varying between 1 - 1.5m in height. <1>

Note; NGR adjusted to centre of bridge as shown on OS second edition map. T Blackie 21/4/17

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NH 4191 5558 (36m by 96m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH45NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish CONTIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.