MHG54507 - Stone Bowl - Loch Mullardoch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NH 109 304 An Iron Age handled stone bowl was found by the shore of Loch Mullardoch. Made from a talc-rich metamorphic rock, possible a talc-chlorite schist, it has a globular profile with rounded base, smoothed from use; the side turns in slightly towards the flattened rim. A sub-circular horizontal handle (with vertical drilled perforation) is placed about halfway up the side. Well finished and smooth externally and around the rim; the interior has vertical chisel or pickmarks on the sides and peckmarks in the base. Bowl external diameter 148mm, internal 102mm; overall L 193mm, H 101mm; handle L 43mm, W 60mm, T 27mm. Depth of hollow 80mm. The loch level was artificially raised for a hydroelectric scheme, so the original context of deposition is unknown. <1>
Submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 32/08) and allocated to Inverness Museum. Listed under Acc. No. 2009.009. See attached TT artefact report. <2> <3>
Inverness Museum archive files contains a photo of the bowl and specialist report by F. Hunter. <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Hunter, F. 2009. 'Loch Mullardoch, Highland (Kintail parish), casual find', Discovery Excav Scot, New, vol. 10. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 104. Online. pp. 104.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 34/08.
- <3> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 34/08.
- <4> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. 2009.009.
|Grid reference||NH 108 303 (point)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- BOWL (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/305402/ (View HES Canmore record for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.