MHG5452 - Blar Mor, Eigg
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- STONE (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) CROSS (Undated)
- None recorded
Cross (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map (1903)
An ancient cross at one time stood here, and the local people performed a ceremony round it in all funeral processions, well on into the 19th c. (Information from N MacPherson, FSA Scot)
Name Book 1877
An upright stone 1.1m high x 0.2m x 0.2m, leaning towards the W, stands at this spot. According to M H MacKinnon, Cleadale, Eigg, it was erected in 1880 when a priest died and is known locally as the Cross. The old tradition is not known.
Visited by OS (AA) 9 May 1972
|Grid reference||Centred NM 4798 8642 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22159 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.