MHG5457 - Cairn and Stone Axehead - Sidhean Na Cailleich, Eigg
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NM48NE 2 470 879.
(NM 4706 8791) Sithean-nan-Cailleich (NAT)
OS 6" map (1903)
About 1853, when stones were being removed (for building purposes) from a long cairn called Sithean-nan Cailleach, two cists were revealed, made of flat stones set on edge and laid lengthwise. Articles of stone and bone are said to have been found in them. but immediately dispersed. A small polished stone axe (2 1/2" x 2") now in the NMAS may have been one. (Acc No: BN 46)
N MacPherson 1878
Sithen na Cailleich is a small natural spur now cultivated and showing no trace of antiquity. About 100.0m to the N on the crest of a ridge is a grass-covered mound strewn with field-gathered stones, measuring
about 18.0m NW-SE by 11.0m transversely and 1.0m maximum height. It cannot be ascertained whether it is natural or artificial.
Visited by OS (ISS) 5 May 1972.
The stone axe is held in the Royal Museum of Scotland under accession number NMS BN 46. It has been petrologically attributed to group IX (porcellanite from Tievebulliagh and Rathlin, Northern Ireland).
T H McK Clough and W A Cummins 1988.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: MacPherson, N. 1878. 'Notes on the antiquities from the Island of Eigg', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 12 1876-8, p.577-97. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 577-97. 593-4.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. BN 46.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Clough and Cummins, T H McK and W A. 1988. Lists of identifications. 141-264. 236, no. INV 2.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1878. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 12 1876-8, p.11-12,58-63,88-91,118-21,183-85,207-15,258-77,374-404,567-71,598-603,613. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 11-12,58-63,88-91,118-21,. 570.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 4700 8789 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22153 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.