MHG54618 - Bridge - Old Military Road, Inchnacardoch Forest
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (18th Century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- None recorded
In 2009 Forestry Commission Scotland commissioned C Shepherd to undertake a survey and assessment of those parts of the 18th century Military Road network crossing the National Forest Estate in Inverness, Ross & Skye, Lochaber and North Highland Forest Districts. During the survey of Inchnacardoch forest, a fine, early, single-spanned bridge, which was still in use, was recorded and photographed. <1>
Archaeological laser scan and photographic surveys of a bridge, part of the C18 Military Road network within the Inchnacardoch Forest, were carried out by AOC Archaeology in 2017 on behalf of Forestry Commission Scotland. The survey was undertaken using a Trimble TX5 laser scanner. The surveyed bridge lies 2km to the northwest of Fort Augustus at a height of 214m OD, carrying the military road over an un-named burn flowing down the SE shoulder of Carn Dubh into the River Oich. This bridge is one of many bridges on the Fort Augustus to Bernera route. The bridge comprises a low single span arch springing from stone built piers up to three courses in height, the northern, upstream side of the bridge the burn is canalised. The bridge is constructed of locally sourced stone; a metamorphic Psammite (BGS 2018). No parapet walls now exist and the bridge appears to be of drystone construction, although this may be due to the washing out of all the lime mortar. The south face of the bridge measures 2.53m between the abutments and 1.10m between the apex of the arch and the base of the watercourse, with the arch rising 0.41m above the top of the side walls. The north face measures 2.51m between the abutments and 1.14 between the apex of the arch and the base of the watercourse, with the arch rising 0.49m above the top of the side walls. The bridge is 4.45m wide between the north and south faces. The canalised upstream burn extends for 16.56m to the west of the bridge. The Military Road over the bridge survives as a grassed over boggy path leading east-west through the forestry plantation with little to be seen of the road surface. <2>
GIS spatial data amended in 2019 based on OS Master Map. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Shepherd, C.. 12/2009. The 18th Century Military Road Network on the Forestry Commission National Forest Estate in the Highlands: Inverness, Ross & Skye, Lochaber and North Highland Districts. Forestry Commission Scotland. . Paper and Digital. IRS035.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Humble, J. & O'Leary, S.. 2017. Inchnacardoch Bridge, Fort Augustus: Archaeological Survey: November 2017. AOC Archaeology Group. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3604 0981 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/306232/ (View RCAHMS Canmore record for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.