MHG5479 - Various Finds - Samhnan Insir, Rhum
Various finds, recorded as Bronze Age- Modern in date, found within a sandy hollow in a raised beach.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Bronze Age to 19th Century - 2400 BC to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Stray find on backshore of machair, NE aspect and altitude of 0-10m OD. Now in National Museums (RMS Acc No: ADL 337)
For adjacent pre-clearance settlement, see NG30SE0004.
NG30SE 2 377 043.
(NG 377 043) A number of artefacts from BA to modern date were found lying on the surface of the sand in the bottom of a hollow scooped out of the machair by the wind. These included a barbed-and-tanged arrowhead of bloodstone; six scrapers and three fabricators or 'strike-a-lights'; all of bloodstone; three scrapers of chert; a fabricator of flint; and waste flakes of bloodstone, chert, flint and quartz.
Lying on the same surface were three beads, of different types, numerous sherds of handmade pottery (undecorated), together with later material including two 18th century coins, fragments of iron and iron slag, lead shot, and bronze wire-headed pins. The site is adjacent to a small pre-clearance settlement.
G C David 1967
Find spot pointed out at NG 3776 043 by Mr P Wormell, Chief Warden of Rum Nature Reserve. Nothing of significance is visible on the ground. Finds made by a schoolboy in 1964.
Visited by OS (AA) 16 May 1972
Artefacts ranging in date from prehistoric to modern have been found in a sandy hollow in the raised beach about 100m WNW of the shepherd's cottage at Samhnan Insir. The finds include a bloodstone barbed-and-tanged arrowhead (NMAS AD 2337), flakes of bloodstone and flint, and fragments of what is probably later prehistoric pottery. Another barbed-and-tanged arrowhead (NMAS AD 2347), together with several chips of bloodstone have been found in the sand-dunes at Samhnan Insir.
G C David 1967; D V Clarke 1969; PSAS 1974; RCAHMS 1983, visited May 1983.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: David, G C. 1967. 'Rhum; Sgor Reidh, Harris Beach, Glen Shellesder, Guirdil, Loch Scresort, Samhnan Insir', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1967, p.27-9. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 27-9. 29.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Clarke, D V. 1969. 'Two jadeite axes and two arrowheads of Antrim porcellanite and Rhum bloodstone from Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 100 1967-8, p.185-8. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 185-8. 187-8.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1983. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Rhum, Lochaber District, Highland Region. . 8, No.13.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AD 2337, AD 2347.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1969. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 100 1967-8, p.201-5. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 201-5. 201, No.12.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1974. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 103 1970-1, p.242-8. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 242-8. 243, Nos.12-13.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3770 0429 (14m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
- BARBED AND TANGED ARROWHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- FLAKE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- STRIKE A LIGHT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- BEAD (Undated)
- SHERD (Undated)
- COIN (18th Century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- SLAG (Early Iron Age to 19th Century - 550 BC? to 1900 AD?)
- SHOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- PIN (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/10957 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.