MHG54903 - Tin bothy/shed, Plockton
Small late 19th-century tin-clad timber bothy.
Type and Period (1)
- BOTHY (Built, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1875 AD to 1904 AD (between))
- None recorded
Constructed between 1875 and 1904 (first depicted on the 2nd edition OS map <1>) up against the outer wall of the Telford church and burial ground to the NW. It is a small wooden framed bothy or shed, clad primarily in corrugated iron although the SW gable is a double skin of vertically laid timber. A brick flue and chimney is attached to the outer wall of the NE gable. Internally the building is suprisingly comfortable with tongue and groove to the walls and ceiling and a simple yet attractive cast iron fire place with a red tile and timber surround. It has clearly not been used for some time and represents an unusual survival. <2> <3>
A photographic survey of the building was carried out by West Coast Archaeological Services in 2015 in advance of propsed demolition and replacement. <4>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sharpe, M. 2015. Plockton Harbour CIC Equipment Store, Plockton, Balmacara Estate: Photographic Building Survey. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 80291 33293 (4m by 5m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.