MHG54958 - Sub circular enclosure, south east of Tarran Ban
A sub circular enclosure of unknown date and function visible on modern mapping and aerial photography.
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Neolithic to 20th Century - 4000 BC? to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
A sub circular enclosure was noted by Jim Bone and photographed by means of oblique aerial photography. The feature is present as an earthwork bank. The date and function are unclear. <1>
The feature can be seen on modern vertical aerial photography captured in 2005. There is an entrance to the north and an apparent break in the bank, possibly recent, to the south. The enclosure lies within the field system for Knockannakeist. Two cultivation plots within the field system MHG6793 are depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey mapping. One of these lies within this enclosure but the enclosure itself is not depicted, suggesting that it could be relatively recent. <2>-<4>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Oblique: Bone, J. 2008-9. Aerial photographs of various HER sites submitted by Jim Bone. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2011. Get Mapping 25cm resolution colour vertical aerial photography. Dated 24/04/2005.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Elgin. Digital.
- <4> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NJ 0709 3261 (71m by 64m)|
|Civil Parish||CROMDALE, INVERALLAN AND ADVIE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.