MHG54963 - Mill dam and lade, Balnacarn
Remains of a drystone dam, sluice and lade for a presumed former water mill.
Type and Period (3)
- MILL DAM (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- LADE (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SLUICE (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Turf- and grass-covered remains of a drystone dam, sluice and lade for a water mill no longer visible, situated on south-facing slope from 138m OD at dam to 130m OD at end of lade.
Dam: well-built and revetted into earth mound (8m long, 1-2m wide, 1m high) to west side of sluice; rubble construction (4.5m long, 1m wide, 0.5-1.0m high) abutting hillslope to east side of sluice;
Sluice: 0.7m wide up to 1m high between dressed stone blocks, and slabbed base;
Lade, orientated N-S approximately 0.6m wide: dugout remains of lade begins approximately 15m to the north of the sluice, after passing through stone built sluice it runs through stone and earth mound approx. 49m to above-ground drystone lade 17m long.
The site is fully described and illustrated in the linked survey report. <1>
This feature was largely safeguarded during construction work for the new hydro scheme. Removal of the retaining wall immediately to the south failed to find any evidence of a wheel pit or other related features, either extant or backfilled. Neither did the steading buildings show any evidence of such features. The southern end of the lade is roughly built with local freestone and surfaced with concrete, similar to the silage pit to the east. It is suggested that the feature dates to the 20th century and was never completed. <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J, Peteranna, M and Fraser, L. 05/2010. Proposed Hydro-electric scheme at Balnacarn, Glen Moriston, Inverness-shire: Archaeological Walk-over Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital. Site 1.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J. 05/2011. Balnacarn, Glen Moriston, Hydro-Electric Scheme: Archaeological Watching Brief. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2734 1322 (35m by 82m)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.