MHG54968 - Silage store, Balnacarn

Summary

A turf-covered drystone ramp with rubble fill that functions as a store for manure/silage.

Type and Period (3)

  • FODDER STORE (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
  • RAMP (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
  • FARM BUILDING (In use, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD? (between))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A turf-covered drystone ramp with rubble fill leading from a track over walls of a ruinous steading. It was noted during a walkover survey in Glen Moriston by Highland Archaeology Services in 2010. The ramp is used for accessing the steading which is used as a store for manure / silage; located next to road at the Balnacarn steadings. The structure measures 6 x 2.5 metres and up to 1.5 metres high. This interesting feature reflects a 20th-century re-use of a ruined steading. The ramp was constructed to allow large vehicles to access over the walls of the structure. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 2738 1316 (22m by 7m)
Map sheet NH21SE
Civil Parish URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.