MHG55051 - Sheepfold, Glenfinnan
A rectangular enclosure which is labelled as a sheepfold on the 2nd edition OS map.
Type and Period (2)
- SHEEP FOLD (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- QUARRY SCOOP (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A programme of archaeological work was undertaken May–July 2011 on the site of proposed hydro-electric scheme, which will harness the two streams of Abhainn Shlatach and Allt na h-Aire. An assessment of cartographic evidence and aerial photographs highlighted at least two archaeological sites. A field survey, undertaken in difficult conditions, confirmed the existence of these, one a sheepfold (NM 8914 8120), the other an enclosure and quarry (NM 8900 8135), and also identified a turf enclosure (NM 8875 8010) and a series of drains (NM 897 807). All are probably indicators of 18th- and 19th-century farming activity. Their locations were recorded and marked by canes. A number of mitigation measures have been proposed and the sites should not be affected by the development. <3>
This rectangular enclosure is situated in rough ground on the raised SW bank of Abhainn Shlatach. It measures about 33m from NW to SE by 24m transversely over a low turf wall which, where best preserved along the SW, measures 0.5m in width and 0.5m in height. A gap in the wall at the S corner may have been an entrance, while further turf features at the N corner are of unclear function. Immediately to the N of the enclosure there is a quarry scoop which has been let into the SE face of a natural mound. The scoop is 6m in length, 3m in width and about 2m in height at the rear. Some loose stone within the enclosure may be from this quarry scoop, which was perhaps used for the road or railway construction.
A large enclosure annotated ‘sheepfold’, not all of which is now apparent in the field, is depicted here on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire Sheet CXXXVII, c1902). <1><2>
- <1> SHG25398 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Geddes, G. 07/2011. Results of an archaeological desk based assessment and field survey: New hydropower sceme to generate electricity from the Anhainn Shlatach, Slatach Power Station, Glenfinnan. Digital.
- <2> SHG25423 Collection/Project Archive: Geddes, G. 07/2011. Results of an archaeological desk based assessment and field survey: New hydropower sceme to generate electricity from the Anhainn Shlatach, Slatach Power Station, Glenfinnan. Digital.
- <3> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
|Grid reference||Centred NM 8900 8135 (39m by 43m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/312287/abhainn-shlatach (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.