MHG55077 - Cup marked stone, East Mulchaich

Summary

A cup marked stone found amongst clearance material at the north end of the township. The stone is still in situ.

Type and Period (1)

  • CUP MARKED STONE (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 1501 BC?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

During survey work in 2009 a cup marked stone was found amongst clearance material to the north of building 26, at on the north east side of the township. <1>

The stone comprises a broken yellow sandstone decorated slab measuring 84 cms x 69 cms x c30 cms and has 16, possibly 17 cups. The cups range in size from 11cm diameter and 3cm deep down to thimble size. There are two pecked grooves linking cups and one finely executed bridle. There is considerable "modern" damage by way of incised gouges, not easy to explain. The breaks may have happened in prehistory and be deliberate. A sketch plan of the stone is included in the above survey report and linked to this record. <2>


<1> Marshall, M, 2011, A Project to Identify, Survey and Record Archaeological Remains at Mulchaich Farm, Ferintosh, Ross-shire, p 11 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG25446.


<2> Wombell, J, 2009-10, Illustrations of cup marked stones (Image/Illustration). SHG25051.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference NH 57996 56991 (point) (GPS derived)
Map sheet NH55NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.