EHG3582 - Recording and surveying project, Mulchaich Farm
North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS)
February 2009 to April 2011
A field survey and recording project took place to record the remains of two settlements at Mulchaich Farm, near Ferintosh. The sites were targeted during a Scotlands Rural Past training course in surveying and recording techniques which took place in March 2009. The majority of the work took place in the spring and summer of 2009 but the project was not fully completed until 2011 when a plane table survey of the scheduled chambered cairn was included. This survey work was part of a project to explore evidence for the manufacture of whisky in this area. One of the townships is known locally as the site of a former distillery, and three other sites in the area were believed to be involved too. Six sites within 1km of Mulchaich Farm were investigated for evidence of distilling. <1> <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2011. A Project to Identify, Survey and Record Archaeological Remains at Mulchaich Farm, Ferintosh, Ross-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Marshall, M. 2011. A Project to Identify, Survey and Record Archaeological Remains at Mulchaich Farm, Ferintosh, Ross-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital.
|Location||Mulchaich Farm, Ferintosh|
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5746 5661 (1085m by 841m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (10)
- Chambered Cairn - Mulchaich (Monument) (MHG9083)
- Cup marked stone, Chambered Cairn, Mulchaich (Monument) (MHG41549)
- Cup marked stone, East Mulchaich (Monument) (MHG55077)
- Farm workers' cottages, Teandore (Monument) (MHG55080)
- Farmstead and enclosure, Gallow Hill (Monument) (MHG20723)
- Farmstead, Lower Ryefield (Monument) (MHG55079)
- Farmstead, Ryefield Burn (Monument) (MHG46382)
- Possible still house, Ryefield House (Monument) (MHG55078)
- Township, East Mulchaich (Monument) (MHG9062)
- Township, West Mulchaich (Monument) (MHG54319)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.