MHG55080 - Farm workers' cottages, Teandore
The remains of three cottages in an L-shaped layout.
Type and Period (1)
- FARM LABOURERS COTTAGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
This site is situated in agricultural land to the west of Urquhart Cemetry, it is often water-logged and is very overgrown in the summer. It has a NW facing aspect and comprises the remains of three cottages with an L-shaped layout. The site has previously not been recorded.
Two of the cottages are standing to eaves height and are roofless, the third appears as a stone edged platform of just 0.3-0.5m height. The present remains suggest three separate buildings but the 1st Edition OS survey has just one in the same layout. The NE gable of the south building has a blocked up fireplace in its external face which infers that it has been attached to the neighbouring building. This building has undergone significant alteration with the gable being extended at the NE corner where it is becoming detached from the side wall.
The site was surveyed in February 2011 by members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society and the survey plan is attached to this record. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5797 5786 (26m by 32m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.