MHG9083 - Chambered Cairn - Mulchaich
A chambered cairn of uncertain type. The site was surveyed by members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society in April 2011.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Stone Circle (OE) Remains of.
OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
A massive stone, 8 ft. within W. edge of cairn, is 2 ft. Above cairn material and, in an excavated hollow some 8 ft to SE of it, another stone is exposed to a depth of 2 feet. Towards E side of cairn, is a large, displaced slab. The presence of these stones suggests the existence of a chamber. 40 feet outside the peristalith may be a comparatively modern bank. <1> <2>
Alcaig Manse (A S Henshall 1963). This cairn, of uncertain type, is overgrown and considerably robbed. It is c55 ft. diam. With a now rather intermittent peristalith of heavy boulders of which one on SE segment has about 15 cups, one of these being 7" across and 2 ins deep. <3>
This cairn is as described above.
Resurveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 21 January 1965.
The cairn was Scheduled in 1971.
No change. Visited by RCAHMS (J R S) March 1989.
An aerial view of this site has been submitted to the HER by Jim Bone. The image also shows clear earthworks of at least five township buildings and at least one enclosure (see MHG54319). <4>
A plane table survey and profiles of this chambered cairn were completed by members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society in April 2011. The survey plan is linked to this record. The cairn is situated on a knoll which has a steeper drop to the SW and is unusual in that it has two kerbs. The height difference between the two kerbs is 1.5m-2m although on the SW side it is 4m.
The inner kerb surrounds the top of the knoll and is roughly circular, c.17m diameter edge to edge; some of the stones of the kerb have been displaced and there are gaps but the kerb is clearly traceable as a change in slope and is generally 0.5m high. The cup marked stone is at the south edge of this kerb.
The outer kerb is elliptical and 50m diameter NW-SE, 40m NE-SW. The stones here are generally smaller than those in the upper kerb and many have been displaced. The height of this kerb varies from 0.3-0.5m to 1m although it is barely discernable in places. <5> <6>
The Scheduled area was amended by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016. <7> <8>
- --- SHG2675 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 16.
- <1> SHG175 Text/Publication/Article: Childe, V G. 1944. 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 26-38. 34.
- <2> SHG72 Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 72-3; plan 70, fig. 2.
- <3> SHG357 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 333, ROS 1; plan 335, fig. 70.
- <4> SHG24076 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Oblique: Bone, J. Aerial photographs of various sites submitted by Jim Bone. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <5> SHG25446 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2011. A Project to Identify, Survey and Record Archaeological Remains at Mulchaich Farm, Ferintosh, Ross-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p 13.
- <6> SHG25447 Collection/Project Archive: Marshall, M. 2011. A Project to Identify, Survey and Record Archaeological Remains at Mulchaich Farm, Ferintosh, Ross-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital.
- <7> SHG27616 Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Changes to the Schedule of Monuments: 620, 889, 1827, 3145, 3403, 13619, 13621, 13623, 13637. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <8> SHG27628 Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM3145: Mulchaich, chambered cairn 80m NE of Auchencairn. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5766 5680 (51m by 46m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3145 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12763 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.