MHG55085 - Recreational field, Auldearn


A field which was presented to the village in 1898 for recreation purposes. Known locally as "The Rec".

Type and Period (1)

  • RECREATION GROUND (In use, 19th Century to 21st Century - 1898 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Known locally as 'The Rec'. The field was presented to the village by Sir Alexander J Dunbar of Boath in 1898. It was used for village cricket and football clubs (before cricket was placed at Boath House). Cricket ceased to be played at the rec after the war. When the army were billeted at Boath House and Kinsteary during WWII they played football against the local football team. There was also a very good ladies football team in the village at the time. During the war years a gymkhana was held in the rec supporting the war effort. There was a black shed which was used as a changing room and store on the bypass side of the field until about late 1960/1970 when it was taken down. In the mid 1990s portacabins were put in place on the roadside of the field (until then footballers changed in their cars). <1>

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NH 91215 55607 (164m by 146m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH95NW
Civil Parish AULDEARN
Geographical Area NAIRN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.