MHG55086 - Auldearn Parish School


The old parish school which dates from the late 17th century and which closed in 1896.

Type and Period (4)

  • SCHOOL (Built, 17th Century - 1650 AD? to 1693 AD?)
  • SCHOOL (In use, 17th Century to 19th Century - 1693 AD? to 1896 AD)
  • CARPENTERS WORKSHOP (In use, 20th Century - 1901 AD? to 1950 AD?)
  • HOUSE (In use, 20th Century to 21st Century - 1950 AD? to 2100 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The old parish school was in use from at least 1693, when documents talk of the roof falling in, and its rethatching in 1696. The school closed in 1896 and was sold at public auction for £260 around the turn of the century. It was a carpenter's workshop, and then divided into three dwelling houses around 1950.
Information from Malvina Taylor and Marie MacLeod.

George Bain 1898. History of the Parish of Auldearn
Centenary Auldearn Primary School 1896-1996: One hundred years of school life. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NH 9202 5545 (13m by 20m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH95NW
Civil Parish AULDEARN
Geographical Area NAIRN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.