MHG55095 - House (Lordy's Ruin), Croft 59, Lonemore


A mid 19th-century crofthouse, which was abandoned in the 1920s. Part of Lonemore crofting township.

Type and Period (2)

  • CROFTHOUSE (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1850 AD? to 1930 AD?)
  • HOUSE (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1850 AD? to 1930 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Derelict croft, which appears as roofed on both the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps. House with a shed/byre attached at the N and S end of the house. The house was built c. 1850 and abandoned in the 1920s. The walls are well constructed of dressed stone that is layered with snecked stone filling any gaps. On the external walls there is still some lime mortar evident. The walls stand up to 3.20 m high and are .6 m thick. There is a fireplace on the N wall with a substantial lintel stone in place and on the south wall some shaped stone amongst the rubble that may suggest another fireplace. There is no evidence of internal walls. There are two windows and a door in the E wall and one window in the W wall.

Part of a crofting township established in 1845 by Sir Francis Mackenzie, Croft 59 has 5.5 acres allocated on the estate map. Lonemore was studied as a Scotland's Rural Past project by Dorothy Malone and Anne MacInnes.

CANMORE104954, with associated digital file.

Malone, Dorothy and MacInnes, Anne 2011. 'Lonemore: Big Damp Meadow' in Scotland's Rural Past: Community Archaeology in Action (RCAHMS), pp. 112-115 <1>

Sources/Archives (2)



Grid reference Centred NG 7838 7786 (16m by 21m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NG77NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish GAIRLOCH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.