MHG55097 - Drill hall, Gairloch
A 19th-century drill hall for the Gairloch section of the ‘I’ Regiment of the Ross Highland Rifles.
Type and Period (1)
- DRILL HALL (Built, 19th Century - 1867 AD to 1867 AD (post))
- None recorded
In the Gairloch area a company, the ‘I’ Regiment of the Ross Highland Rifles, was initiated in 1867 by Mr Alexander Burgess, who had worked as agent for the Caledonian Bank in Gairloch. He recruited the requisite number of volunteers and drilled them himself until an instructor was supplied by the War Office in 1911. Sir Kenneth Mackenzie was Captain for 15 years, till Mr Burgess took over from him. The company was divided into sections with drill halls at Achtercairn, Gairloch (the HQ) and others at Poolewe and Opinan. <1>
The drill hall is a corrugated iron hut adjacent to the Free Presbyterian Church. It has an aisle to the east and two small extensions to the south. It was not mapped on the 2nd edition 1:2500 map. Osborne states that it was built before the First World War. In 1914 the hall was the base for "D" Company, 4th battalion Seaforth Highlanders.
The building survives but appears derelict. Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <2> <3> <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes. Site 32.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 330635.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 64, table 43.
- <4> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. Site 398.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 80135 77016 (16m by 23m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/330635/gairloch-drill-hall (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.