MHG55324 - Enclosure, Glenfinnan
A turf banked enclosure which was possibly a small arable field.
Type and Period (3)
- TURF ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FIELD? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A programme of archaeological work was undertaken May–July 2011 on the site of proposed hydro-electric scheme, which will harness the two streams of Abhainn Shlatach and Allt na h-Aire. An assessment of cartographic evidence and aerial photographs highlighted at least two archaeological sites. A field survey, undertaken in difficult conditions, confirmed the existence of these, one a sheepfold (NM 8914 8120), the other an enclosure and quarry (NM 8900 8135), and also identified a turf enclosure (NM 8875 8010) and a series of drains (NM 897 807). All are probably indicators of 18th- and 19th-century farming activity. Their locations were recorded and marked by canes. A number of mitigation measures have been proposed and the sites should not be affected by the development. <3>
This enclosure is situated in rough ground the N side of the Allt na h-Aire. Measuring 20m from NW to SE by 12m transversely, the enclosure is defined by turf banks that have spread to 1m wide in places and 0.5m in height. A linear bank within is of unclear function. Despite no clear evidence for cultivation, the accumulated soil in the interior suggests that the enclosure may have been a small arable field. <1><2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Geddes, G. 07/2011. Results of an archaeological desk based assessment and field survey: New hydropower sceme to generate electricity from the Anhainn Shlatach, Slatach Power Station, Glenfinnan. Digital. Feature 3.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Geddes, G. 07/2011. Results of an archaeological desk based assessment and field survey: New hydropower sceme to generate electricity from the Anhainn Shlatach, Slatach Power Station, Glenfinnan. Digital.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
|Grid reference||Centred NM 8876 8010 (27m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/312289/allt-na-h-aire (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.