MHG55325 - Drainage features, Glenfinnan
A series of linear drainage features possibly related to forestry planting.
Type and Period (2)
- DRAINAGE SYSTEM? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY DYKE (18th Century - 1701 AD? to 1800 AD?)
- None recorded
A programme of archaeological work was undertaken May–July 2011 on the site of proposed hydro-electric scheme, which will harness the two streams of Abhainn Shlatach and Allt na h-Aire. An assessment of cartographic evidence and aerial photographs highlighted at least two archaeological sites. A field survey, undertaken in difficult conditions, confirmed the existence of these, one a sheepfold (NM 8914 8120), the other an enclosure and quarry (NM 8900 8135), and also identified a turf enclosure (NM 8875 8010) and a series of drains (NM 897 807). All are probably indicators of 18th- and 19th-century farming activity. Their locations were recorded and marked by canes. A number of mitigation measures have been proposed and the sites should not be affected by the development. <4>
A series of linear features at 6m intervals run from SW to NE within the thickly wooded and overgrown SW bank of the Abhainn Shlatach. At 0.5m in width and 0.4m in depth, the features run up to and over natural bedrock terracing and reflect a pattern of drainage perhaps related to forestry planting.
In addition to these discrete features, a lengthy turf and stone dyke was identified which enclosed the woodland to the SW of the development area. This dyke may well be 18th century in date as the enclosure is clearly shown on the 1st edition of the 6-inch OS map. It will not be affected by the development. <1><2>
The location of this dyke is not clear so a separate record has not been created at this time. <3>
- <1> SHG25398 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Geddes, G. 07/2011. Results of an archaeological desk based assessment and field survey: New hydropower sceme to generate electricity from the Anhainn Shlatach, Slatach Power Station, Glenfinnan. Digital. Feature 4.
- <2> SHG25423 Collection/Project Archive: Geddes, G. 07/2011. Results of an archaeological desk based assessment and field survey: New hydropower sceme to generate electricity from the Anhainn Shlatach, Slatach Power Station, Glenfinnan. Digital.
- <3> SHG23297 Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <4> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
|Grid reference||Centred NM 897 807 (200m by 200m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/312290/abhainn-shlatach (Link to HES Canmore online record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.