MHG55346 - South Laggan Church
Church built c.1820.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Exact date of construction unknown, but the church is thought to have been built by Alasdair MacDonnell around 1820, and local tradition suggests it was for the men making the Caledonian Canal. It appears on the 1843 Survey Map for the Caledonian Canal, listed as an 'Episocopal Chapel'. On the 1st edition OS map, it is listed as a Free Church. The Ellice family were responsible for a major work of renovation carried out in 1887. Within living memory it was used by the Church of Scotland until the late 1950s. It was last used in the 1990s. The church contains a large marble plaque with the names of 7 children who died in infancy, probably relating to the MacDonell of Glengarry family.
Information from South Laggan Church Repair Appeal pamphlet. <1>
- --- SHG28158 Image/Photograph(s): David Mee - Architect. 2019. Photographic Survey - South laggan Church, South Laggan. Colour. Digital.
- <1> SHG25556 Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Invergarry. Yes. Site 24.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 29317 97337 (14m by 17m) (GPS derived)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331131/south-laggan-church (Link to onlone HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.