MHG55354 - Longhouse (1 of 6) and enclosure, Little Rogart
A longhouse and attached enclosure within the former township of Little Rogart.
Type and Period (2)
- LONGHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- D SHAPED ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
This building (ROG95 850) was recorded during RCAHMS's 1995 survey of Little Rogart township. It measures 15m x 4.3m, with stone-faced rubble walls 1.27m thick standing to a height of 0.5m. The north, east and west walls have been robbed. The building was built down the slope. The dimensions of this building, one of six building over 15m in length within the township, are typical of long byre-houses found elsewhere in Sutherland. <1><2>
A D-shaped enclosure attached to the building on its east side is presumably associated. <3>
- <1> Dataset/Geospatial Data: RCAHMS. 1995. RCAHMS Draft Rogart Points and Lines. ROG95 850.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 124409.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 10/11/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7324 0314 (15m by 20m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.