MHG55361 - Longhouse, Little Rogart (3 of 6)

Summary

One of six longhouses within the former township of Little Rogart.

Type and Period (1)

  • LONGHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

This building (ROG95 858) was recorded during RCAHMS's 1995 survey of Little Rogart township. It measures 26.9m x 5m, with stone-faced rubble walls 0.8m thick standing to a height of 0.25m. A drain was noted within the south eastern end of the building. There is a gap in the south west side about a third of the way from the north western end. The building as a whole is much reduced. The dimensions of the building are typical of long byre-houses found elsewhere in Sutherland and it is one of six such buildings within the former township. <1>


<1> RCAHMS, 1995, RCAHMS Draft Rogart Points and Lines, ROG95 858 (Dataset/Geospatial Data). SHG25552.


<2> RCAHMS, Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), 124409 (Interactive Resource/Online Database). SHG23282.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 7314 0343 (17m by 25m)
Map sheet NC70SW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish ROGART

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.