MHG55433 - Disused Quarry, Achscrabster
Remains of a 18-19th century flagstone quarry, no longer in use by the mid-20th century
Type and Period (1)
- STONE QUARRY (In use, 18th Century to 20th Century - 1750 AD? to 1960 AD? (between))
- None recorded
The site of a disused flagstone quarry at Achscrabster. First depicted on the 1st edition OS map <1> and significantly expanded by the 2nd edition OS map <2>. The remains of the quarry today are much as they had been left when it fell out of use. Most of the areas where extraction took place have now filled with water, although the spoilheaps, some of which are now grassed over, remain standing to a significant height. Many of the structures associated with the quarry workings, such as a windmill base, buildings (including a chimney), mill lades etc survive within the quarry landscape. The chimney (now covered with ivy) is an unusual survival <3>. Limited photographic recording undertaken during site visit <4>.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-3. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-72). Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital. 22/06/2010.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 08224 62993 (1727m by 1234m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.